OpSlingshot4 Photos

Home Up


Operation Giant Slingshot: A History (Part 4)

On 22 May GSS units began conducting coordinated land / waterborne ambushes. These were later dubbed Bushwack ops. The waterborne ambush had been highly successful but the sophistication of the tactic added two things to it. First it was variance to counter any advance made by the VC toward combating the WBA and secondly it increased the possibility of contact or kill in case of contact. Bushwack ops employed a platoon of U.S. Army troops, preferably recon troops, Rangers or raiders, use to fighting in small units. The platoon was split in two groups and embarked on two boats. Upon insertion of the boats in ambush the platoon would deploy inland approximately 200 meters. It can be readily seen why the WBA was enhanced by this new twist. The troops extended the "Possibility of Contact" envelope. They provided advance warning of approaching VC. The troops preferred this type of ambush because they had mobility, greater secrecy of insertion, .50 caliber machine gun support and an instantaneous extraction vehicle should it be necessary. This Navy-Army team got plenty of solid contact and kills, and is responsible for breaking up of VC movements, disruption of commo-liaison routes in the accomplishment of the interdiction mission.

June can only be described as a month of maneuvers and counter-maneuvers. The entire month is laced with tricky maneuvers by the VC and equally tricky moves by the GIANT SLINGSHOT forces. These maneuvers were by no means confined to this month but they were in high evidence in June.

On the 31st of May and again on the 3rd of June, hawsers were discovered in an area upriver from Tra Cu. The first was discovered as a result of a Hoi Chanh rallier disclosing the fact that the span was used to raft supplies across the river and possibly high-line. The second hawser was entangled in the screws of a transiting LCM-8 on 3 June. This tricky maneuver had many possibilities and was difficult to detect either in use or when stowed. Sweep gear was streamed by RAG units after the incidents and lead to the discovery of two more hawsers all within the same general area. Extreme tidal conditions in the area and increased attention to crossing gave rise to increased cache discoveries during June. However, the total monthly tonnage of 4.5 tons was well below the average of approximately 15 tons per month.

On 5 June, Operation Barrier Reef East was discontinued. The stretch of assets along the Great Barrier was continuing and GSS felt it's first pinch for assets when River patrol Division 571 moved from the Barrier Reef East canals to the upper Saigon River to form a new interdiction group. Random patrols were made on the canals by the Tuyen Nhon based boats with the intent of maintaining a presence in the AO.

June saw the SEAL platoon, which had been staged in Ben Luc permanently in May, conduct valuable intel gathering missions at all points up and down the Vam Co Dong.

The U.S. Army Air Cushioned Vehicles assigned to the 3rd/Bde of the 9th U.S. Inf Div staged out of NSA Ben Luc and conducted joint ops in and around the Ben Luc, Tan An, Thu Thua areas and up the Bo Bo Canal, long know to be a major VC infiltration route.

On 13 June, the Vietnamese RAIDS completed their training and indoctrination and were given full responsibility for the area of the rivers from the confluence to Tan An (RAID-70) and to Ben Luc (RAID-71) respectively. While combined operations continued to be conducted in this and other tactical areas of responsibility, these areas were under the complete command of RAID commanders now assigned as Task Unit commanders. The performance of these two RAID's in Operation GIANT SLINGSHOT has been exemplary. They performed every mission assigned and were quick to correct any mistakes made. LCDR Tieu, VNN, was placed in charge of both RAID's and provided the driving force needed for combined operations and conduct them in a coordinated manner.

Just as a plan to expand the operation in the Can Giouc area was being completed, a sudden surge of enemy activity dictated it be held in abeyance. GIANT SLINGSHOT had been ordered to support the 3rd/bde of the 9th Inf Div in the area of Can Giouc District of Long An Province. In order to fulfill this task, CDR Arie C. A. Sigmond USN, who had relieved CDR Murphy on 13 May, and who assumed CTG 194.9, decided to relocate some of his assets in order to allow RivDiv 573 to move into the Can Giouc area to directly support the 6th/31st Battalion and conduct interdiction operations. This maneuver was postponed and later dropped because of increased activity in the Go Dau Ha, Ben Keo, Tay Ninh City area.

On 9 June, the Tay Ninh operation was expanded from the north-south WT 19 grid line crossing the Vam Co Dong to within one kilometer of the Cambodian Border. Ten PBRs and five RAC had been positioned at the hastily formed ATSB at Ben Keo, due south of Tay Ninh City. This addition was welcomed by the Commanding General of the 25th U.S. Inf Div because of the increasing activity in and around Tay Ninh City. The General appreciated the Navy's presence in interdicting the waterways, as the activity in the area took a sharp rise between 17-21 June. Five and six firefights were the average precluding any shifting or spreading thinner of US assets. On 20 June, HA(L)-3-Det-7 was stationed in Tay Ninh West to provide quick reaction air support to the forces in Ben Keo and Go Dau Ha. Det-3 had by then been moved from Moc Hoa to YRBM-20 on the Mekong River at An Long to better protect the Barrier Reef West units.

The newly formed RAIDs 73, 74, and 75 steamed out of Saigon on the day of commissioning and around GIANT SLINGSHOT rivers for a "show of force" throughout the delta. The RAIDs sailed up the Vam Co Dong to Ben Keo then back to the confluence of the Van Co Tay. RAID 73 dropped out of the "show" at Tuyen Nhon and was chopped to CTG 194.9 opcon at the end of June.

In July, the U.S. Navy teamed with the U.S. Army and was credited with saving Tay Ninh City from the Viet Cong. Intel predicted that the VC were planning to attack Tay Ninh City and occupy it long enough to establish a provisional government. They anticipated that all nations of the world, tired of the Vietnam conflict, would rush to recognize the provisional government with it's capital in Tay Ninh City (the third largest city in South Vietnam). Thus, one of the key battles of the war was approaching and the U.S. was determined to deny the enemy Tay Ninh. The 25th Inf Div dug in for the attack and on 6 July COMNAVFORV executed a contingency plan already established to concentrate the forces in the Tay Ninh area to protect the city. This operation was named Operation Double Shift. It called for 48 hour notice to relocate assets from other parts of the delta in order to triple the GIANT SLINGSHOT force in Go Dau Ha and Ben Keo. The units were only given four hours notice and all units were on station within 24 hours after receiving their orders. Two River Patrol Divisions 574 and 513 sailed from Binh Thuy to Go Dau Ha and two other River Patrol Divisions, 532 and 531, sailed to Tay Ninh City (Ben Keo) from My Tho (Webmaster's note:

Back to Operation GIANT SLINGSHOT Menu

Next Page

  <bgsound src="dayfordaydream-LSpoonful.wav" loop=infinite>

Home Dedication PreVietnam NIOTC Arrival RivRon11 RivRon15 DongTam Boats Maps MRF History NIOTC MRF History 1967-68 Ops Reports OpSlingshot Glossary Links Medals Patches Call Signs Medevac Other Photos Other Pics MRF Photos Uniforms PostVietnam So.Viet.Navy Whitfield Cty. Email Veterans Day Casualties Commando 1975 Thank You Pearl Harbor PG Riders WTC Tribute

Copyright 1999-2014 by Don Blankenship. You may use the images, descriptions, stories or text within this site, with proper credit,  for non-commercial, not-for-profit purposes only. In the event you wish to use any material contained within this site for commercial, for-profit purposes, permission must be obtained from the author, Don Blankenship, in advance of such use. All rights reserved. Click email if you have comments. Thanks for your interest in learning about the Mobile Riverine Force.